Rants and raves about all the latest in video games and other forms of mindless entertainment.

December 02, 2005

One, Two Punch: DS takes 2005 with a last minute victory!



Undeniably, the PSP's launch line-up was spectacular. Representing at least one game from every major genre, and most of the titles were fairly good, if not incredibly satisfying to boot. Admittedly, I was wowed by Lumines and Metal Gear AC!D. Both titles were the killer apps the PSP needed. Both worthy of a system purchase, even if both were fairly niche (and at moments, mildly underwhelming: MGA). So it was a shoe-in: Nintendo had nothing but Zoo Keeper and a ported rehash of an N64 classic - aged 10 years of course - and now Sony's wonder machine was poised to unleash upon the gaming community real next-gen handheld gaming. To a point, I'd say they succeeded. A new standard for graphical excellence has been marked. A mark no current Nintendo handheld can reach, but only yearn for. Post-launch, the PSP lost it's momentum, though. Software was steadily released, eventually trickling into a drought (a common thing for any new piece of gaming technology), and most of the games were "okay" at best.

Yet, without any real high profile titles of it's own, the DS was left behind in Default Second place, since really the best titles for each came in the launch pack, with PSP easily trumping the DS' offerings. That's not to say the DS didn't have any reasons to play, they just weren't worth the 200 dollar investment. Then came along Kirby: Canvas Curse. Wow, the game just blew me away. Ostensibly it was nothing special, but mechanically and practically it was genius. Pure genius. Hands down, Canvas Curse's curlicue's of destruction were ultimately more addicting than the trance-mix antics of Lumines. Of course it's presentation as a product was more streamlined towards "minors" and the cutesy people out there, but it was a damned good game, and still is, even after almost half a year of incubation.

It still wasn't enough though. As the whole package, the PSP still had better games, and was still leading, leaving the DS in it's wake. Months pass, and the DS is still without it's reason to live. Yearning for that higher calling. Then August rolls around...and the DS finds it's inner beauty. Nintendogs and Advance Wars: Dual Strike swoop down and rescue our dual-screened friend from iminent drowning. Like most Nintendo gaming machines, it had obtained it's completed Tri-Force. Power, Wisdom and Courage...Nintendogs, Advance Wars and Kirby. While no individual title would be called better than Lumines, I would gladly take those three over any single killer app on the market. The DS had finally caught up, and was finally putting up a fight. Dukes raised, mouth guard in...let the fight begin.

Months passed again, and still no clear winner. This was getting exhausting. Then that glimmer, that light, that something that renews the meaning of "Gamer", that ignites what small spark of excitement, laying dormant. You begin to realize that through thick and thin, there will always be a saviour: that game is Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Easily the best handheld game the DS had, and even easier, the best game amongst the rubbish and rubies of the PSP and DS software lineup. It was That edge the DS needed. Solidifying the Nintendo DS as 2005's "must own handheld", Castlevania DoS could very well be one of the greatest handheld games ever made. And with that, the Nintendo DS pushes forward in a momentous leap of faith, to take the title of "Handheld of the Year". Proving itself to be more than a contender with software, rather than hardware, the PSP was left wallowing in it's own pool of excessive UMDs, as it's killer apps were ecclipsed one after the other. While the PSP is still a stand-out piece of technology - being the publicly advertised tech-nut that I am - the DS just has more fire power. With some hot 2006 salvos coming from the Sony camp, I wouldn't be suprised if the DS is given a run for it's money once again, but right now, the crown jewel is firmly centred on the DS.

17 Comments:

Blogger coke said...

Why did you leave out Mario Kart? I thought this was the excellent game that really pushed the DS past the PSP to make it a clear winner.

Maybe you didn't like it.

December 06, 2005 8:57 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

Mario Kart DS is an overrated game. It's plagues by pathetic online gameplay, which is really the big selling point of the game. Other then that, it's single player experience is akin to Mario Kart 64, which was for all intents and purposes: a POS racer with no soul, no depth and terrible visuals. Mario Kart DS is the biggest milk carton Nintendo's every squeezed out of that succlent tit.

December 06, 2005 10:19 PM

 
Blogger anonymous said...

Good thing most reviewers and the general public doesn't think that.

December 11, 2005 9:46 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

General public? If by general public you mean "Nintendo fans who will play any and every Nintendo game ever" then yeah, of course they're not going to think that.

Most reviewers are also being lenient, since this is Nintendo's last virgin moment. Their very first true online game...of course there is going to be hiccups. IGN went to write an entire expose on why the online mode was watered and down and severly flawed (yet contradicted themselves and praised the online mode). That right there is a sure sign that reviewers are being far too lenient with Mario Kart DS. You may not agree with that, but that would make you ignorant to the world around you. Start paying attention to whats happening in this industry, and stop pretending like Gamespot and Nintendo Power are the ONE AND ONLY source for "teh awsome riviews n' stuf! loL!"

December 11, 2005 11:31 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

I won't lie, I stopped reading halfway through that, your rant was based on an ignorant pretense. The PSP is by all measures, 10+ times more powerful than the DS. It's superior regardless of sales. The sales of a piece of machinery do not equate to it's power.

So instead of reply to your ignorant rant, I've deleted it, in the hopes of saving the brain cells of those who actually decided to read the article instead of select sentences that they clearly misunderstood. Comma Doe, I think it'd be best if you reached your 12th birthday before you post here again. Saavy?

December 12, 2005 2:12 AM

 
Blogger John Comma Doe said...

Ah, censorship, the finest weapon of the dimwitted!

Go ahead and delete my posts. Your call. But don't think that just because you can take my words off your blog that they are somehow less meaningful.

The PSP is more powerful than the DS. You don't need a degree in computer science to know that. But does that really make it superior?

It's a *video game system*. What determines superiority is if people enjoy it enough to buy it. The results are in, and Nintendo has kicked the crap out of Sony in the handheld market. Which is truly the superior system?

December 12, 2005 9:41 AM

 
Blogger John Comma Doe said...

You know, rather than waste my time posting things that you'll just delete if you dislike them, I've decided to take you on at my own blog (doejo.blogspot.com). If you want to have a fair discussion, come on over. I won't cheat by deleting comments that hurt my case.

December 12, 2005 11:31 AM

 
Blogger Adam said...

It wasn't censorship, it was a saintly gesture towards my other readers. You clearly did not read or understand the article I wrote.

You accused me of calling the PSP the better handheld, even though the title of the editorial was "DS takes 2005". I called the PSP superior, yes I certainly did. Because it is. Bearing in mind that the title of the article is "DS takes 2005 with a last minute victory", I wouldn't think it be too hard to expect that you would interpret the statement "PSP is still superior" as tech head commentary, which it was.

Dimwitted? No sir, that would be you. The least of your problems is me deleting your incoherent ramblings.

December 12, 2005 5:02 PM

 
Blogger John Comma Doe said...

My only real offense with your article, sir, is that I believe it is disingenuous to claim that the DS only just barely edged out the PSP. For the numbers to add up, the DS would have to have been beating the PSP for much longer than 3 months.

And I never stooped to calling you, or anyone else, dimwitted. That is beneath me, and you seem intelligent enough that it ought to be beneath you as well.

December 12, 2005 7:11 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

It's certainly beneath me to bad mouth a respectable individual simply because he disagrees with me, but what you've done is slanderous. You've blatantly lied about things I've said. And to a person like that, I certainly have no qualms with belittling. Your amateur adventures into this sort of mess are amusing at best. (I should also note, that being hypocritical is not exactly an admirable trait either. You say you didn't call me dimwitted, yet you insinuated the very thing in your previous post. Do you really think I'm not going to catch you?

And for the love of God get off about sales. They mean nothing and offer you no leg to lean on here. Every post from here on that mentions hardware sales will get deleted. If you want a genuine argument, you're going to have to find another one-trick pony, kid.

December 12, 2005 8:00 PM

 
Blogger Mark Kwon Doe said...

NOTICE: this is a repost of what I posted on http://doejo.blogspot.com/

Greetings all, I am Mark Kwon Doe, seasoned interweb user and veteran of the Cola Wars. To preface my comments please be aware that I am indeed related to John Comma Doe, but I think he is a jerk (and no, my name is not Mark nor my surname Doe). Take my comments not to be a defense of JCD's opinions, but mine and mine alone.

Personally I own both systems, so whoever the "winner" is, I don't care. To that effect I have consistantly found more enjoyment from my DS than my PSP.

I find it rather disenguous to says that the DS barely edged out the PSP then come back later say that the games are more important when JCD used the NPD numbers to discredit your assertions about the DS coming through just at the end.

What I do not understand is why you, Adam, are so addament about something in which you have no vested interest. I assume you own both handhelds by your original post. What do you gain from the PSP be declared (by you) the winner of the year or not? Will the system disappear if it is not number one? Nintendo makes money. It makes it hand over fist. They sell systems at a profit. sell games at a profit, sell accessories at a profit. good for them. Sony sells systems at a loss, accessories at a HUGE profit (which is why I have not purchased a single first party PSP or ps2 accessory)and games at about break even (which is not appealling to developers).

My personal opinion on this is who cares? good games are good games regardless of on what system they are released.

December 12, 2005 10:54 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

What do you gain from the PSP be declared (by you) the winner of the year or not?

I take it you didn't read the article either. Why is the world so full of stupid people? What did people like myself do to deserve being hounded by the bottom of the barrel, fucktards roaming the internet? Can't you go suck on someone's dick at Gamespot? I hear they're hiring polishboys with about now.

December 13, 2005 12:07 AM

 
Blogger Mark Kwon Doe said...

NOTE: Reposted again

me:What do you gain from the PSP be declared (by you) the winner of the year or not?

Adam: from doejo.blogspot.comI suppose your stupidity is contagious. from this thread What did people like myself do to deserve being hounded by the bottom of the barrel, fucktards roaming the internet?

Me again! oh thats right. You gain the ability to continue ad hominum attacks on someone else. Do you not realize that these attacks do not provide any backing for an agument of fact or opinion and in turn just makes you look petty and infantile? You get hounded because you are presenting opinion as fact and becoming beligerant when someone questions you about it. Good job, you think I am a homosexual because I disagree with you! there is clearly a definative cause and effect relationship drawn between the two!

December 13, 2005 12:18 AM

 
Blogger John Comma Doe said...

Actually, Mark Kwon doesn't even use gamespot. If you must accuse him of performing fellatio on anyone, it should be the fine folks over at metacritic.

December 13, 2005 12:42 AM

 
Blogger Mark Kwon Doe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 13, 2005 10:59 PM

 
Blogger Mark Kwon Doe said...

Well played, old top! Why did I delete my last post? because I am stupid and pasted the url for a naughty site. wee!

December 13, 2005 11:01 PM

 
Blogger anonymous said...

I'm shocked. I thought for sure Adam would declare the PSP the victor of 2005. "lawl, we have GR4FX!!!111"

February 02, 2006 10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home